Church catalogued as a national monument in 1927. It is a temple of the XVII century, whose construction is associated with the country’s need to assert itself as a nation independent from Spain.
Its origin was a small temple, abandoned, until a miracle happened on April 26, 1698: the Holy Christ then drew blood, according to the inscription in the church. The news spread quickly and the first stone of a sanctuary was placed between 1725 and 1739. Throughout the XVIII century it acquired importance as a place of pilgrimage.
The building consists of a temple with a Latin cross plan, a sanctuary and a backyard. It emphasizes the sanctuary with a walled ceiling with three pairs of chests painted with scenes of the life of Christ, executed in 1768 by Damião Bustamante from Valladolid, and walls also covered with painting on canvas. On November 8, 2014 the title of Basilica of S.Cristo de Outeiro was granted to the church – Sanctuary of the Holy Christ of Outeiro, making it the only Basilica in the country that is located in a village.