This neoclassical building with enormous columns was erected according to plans by Melchor de Prado between 1769 and 1805, on the site formerly occupied by the college of the Society of Jesus. The top floor was added at the end of the 19th century. The façade representing Minerva was then replaced by giant statues of the benefactors of the University: Lope Gómez de Marzoa, Juan de Ulloa, Álvaro de Cadaval and the Count of Monterrey.
Inside the building, the garden cloister with fountain, the auditorium with frescoes by Fenolera and González, and the reading room, as well as the terraces with views of the entire city, stand out.