Natural Monument, one of the eight existing in Galicia. This forest, with an area of 45,185 square meters, has exceptional specimens of oak and chestnut trees, some of the latter reaching 30 meters in height and 5 and a half meters in perimeter and are considered to have the fastest growth rate in Europe.

It was owned by the Quiroga family, inhabitants of the pazo located in the place of the same name, a few meters from the forest, so it is also known as “Fraga de Quiroga”, “Souto de Quiroga” or “Carballeira”. de Quiroga”. In 1864, one of the descendants of this family married Emilia Pardo Bazán, who later, perhaps in this palace, wrote some chapters of her work “Os Pazos de Ulloa”.

In the mid-twentieth century, the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) demanded the protection of this forest. In 1998 it became the property of the Ministry of Agriculture and Environment and was declared a Natural Monument in 2000.

It is possible to enjoy the forest by following a short, simple, signposted circular trail, only 1,200 meters long, equipped with interpretive panels.