Second religious work of the architect Antonio Palacios after the Temple of Voto do Mar in Panxón. The temple began to be built in 1943 when the parish priest Evaristo Vaamonde commissioned the project to Palacios. He would die without being able to see his work finished, 2 years later. In 1952 the temple was opened for worship, still with the tower under construction, which would be completed in 1957.

We cannot highlight a specific style in its architecture, as it is an amalgam of different architectural forms with influences coming from the designs of pazos, monasteries, cathedrals, churches and castles.

Inside is kept an alleged piece of the Cross on which Christ was crucified. A gift arrived from the Holy Land in 1901, from the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Monsignor Ludovico Piave. This relic was in the possession of the Supreme Pontiff Pius IX in the last months of his life.