The origin of the Church of Senhor Bom Jesus da Cruz is related to the mysterious appearance of a black earthen Cross on the grounds of Campo da Feira, in December 1504, and where a small chapel was soon built to commemorate the divine sign.

Two centuries later, in 1704, a church was built on the same site according to a project by João Antunes. The well-known Portuguese architect opted for a very characteristic style of the north of the country in which granite, the main material of local construction, and white lime were combined in harmonious baroque forms, in this case of Italian inspiration.

The interior, octagonal in plan, is impressive for the solidity of the monument, which is visible through the thick walls and the heavy granite dome, which measures about 10 meters in diameter.

Note the gilded altars, particularly the one with the image of the Lord of the Cross, dating from the 16th century, and the 18th century tile panels designed by João Neto, a Lisbon tile maker.

Here takes place one of the most important religious festivals of the municipality of Barcelos, the Festa das Cruzes, which takes place at the beginning of May. At this time it is worth a visit to admire the carpets of petals that cover the floor of the church during the festivity that lasts five days.